Thursday, March 03, 2005

Day in the life

I woke up at 5am this morning to catch a 7am flight to Chicago for a four hour meeting. I arrive at the airport at 6am and realize I am way too early so look to find something to eat and peruse the magazine and book stands. I find a new book in a series I had been reading and resist the urge to buy the hardcover. Normally I would have snatched it up, but I now figure this will somehow cut into my already non-existent sleep and more importantly will take away from my EQII playing time.

Since yesterday, I've had the scratchy throat and general feeling of unwellness, but work moves on and so must I in the face of deadlines. Knowing all this, I was still up till almost 3am playing EQII, which only shows you the depth of my addiction and need for friends and company, even if virtual, but I digress.

At 3:30pm I leave the office to catch my 6pm flight back to NYC and arrive at the airport at 5:30pm and figure there is only a slim chance to make my flight, yet I am still confident. It turns out my flight is delayed an hour, so no worries and I proceed to partake in some less than scrumptious airport dinner. Wolfgang Puck, your pizzas are overpriced and have more style than substance and your meatloaf sandwich just sucks.

Well I call to reserve a car to take my butt home from the airport and get on my now 7pm flight and think to myself, I won't be home till 11pm and I feel like shit. I proceed to pass out on the plane and wake up startled and with a pain in my head as I can not equalize the air pressure in my right ear, ugh.

I arrive at 9:55pm and proceed to curbside and look for my car, which they assure me is on time. I proceed to wait for 20 minutes outside cause apparently it turns out he is in a different lane than normal and waiting for me there, punk. And it is COLD outside and this is not helping my already constricted chest and half deafness.

3/4 of the way home, I am at a stoplight in the LES when I hear a screech, pop; I look up and see an SUV come through the intersection and FLIP and SLIDE onto the side of the street.
My first reaction is, the lights green, let's go. I quickly snap out of it when I see one of the persons in the accident in shock asking the traffic to stop and call for help. I start to pull out my cell and see there already are others on the phone so I don't bother, but am curious and somewhat concerned about the people involved. Apparently everyone seems to be alive and well as can be, but I don't know for sure. My driver's reaction throughout? Fuck'em stupid guy was going too fast, he deserves it. The reaction of 90% of the traffic, whatever, honk honk, I need to get on my way. The other 10% happens to be in front of my car trying to help by rubbernecking until the mass toll of honking and peer pressure get to him and he moves on, allowing me to also be on my way.

I arrive home without further incident, cough a few times, sneeze a few times trying to lodge as much contaminant in the public space as I can, take a potty break, shower up, do the dishes, write this blog and go to sleep ready to do it all over tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger DD said...

Health comes first! Be sure to take care of yourself. And what is this Everquest business? Once you get better, I expect you to go outside and breath in the fresh air. Please, you live in NYC!

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home