Sunday, January 09, 2005

Rice Cooker

So I have been searching for a couple months now to buy a rice cooker.
Not just any rice cooker, mind you. I am very particular about rice cookers.
These days, rice cookers are not as good in my opinion as the old fashioned ones.
The difference between old school rice cookers and new rice cookers are that the old style, you have to pour water into the rice cooker as well as into the pot containing the rice. The new style only needs water in the rice pot.
The advantages of the new style are convenience.
But the old style has versatility and customizability! I control how long things cook by the amount of water I pour into the outer pot.
With the old style, I am also able to double steam rice, steam wish and other good stuff at my convenience. Not so with the new school.

I searched throughout NYC Chinatown for the old school version without success.
But alas, I was successful in my hometown of Cupertino.
That is
Cupertino - 1
NYC - 0

I also think the Chinese food is better in Cupertino than New York City, especially the Dim Sum.
I will have to go out to Flushing and try the Chinese food out there some more, that area reminds me a bit of Cupertino.

The best thing about NYC Chinatown is the abundance of FuZhou style Chinese food, very rare to find this type of cuisine anywhere else. I have found one restaurant of this type in Los Angeles Chinatown (The restaurant is prominent in the movie Rush Hour and my family and I go there religiously when in LA.) The other place to have a Fu Zhou restaurant, oddly enough, is in Amsterdam, which also has some very very good dim sum.

Can't wait to try out my rice cooker when I get home.

1 Comments:

Blogger DD said...

no need to travel cross-country - my old-school rice cooker is courtesy of Plainsboro, NJ!

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home